3.3 How to Build

Regulation of Planning and Settlement Development falls under the purview of the Ministry of Communities, Central Housing and Planning Authority. CHPA is tasked with the responsibility of promoting and facilitating orderly and sustainable development within the country.

Building Application Process

  • You must apply to the Central Housing and Planning Authority (CH&PA) through your respective Local Authority for planning permission.
  • You will need to purchase a planning application form from your Local Authority or the Central Housing and Planning Authority;
  • Your application must be accompanied by a site location plan, detailed plans of proposed works and a copy of the document of ownership for the property. See this link for required specification for building plan submissions.

NB: At least three copies of the plans are required.

  • The fees for building applications varies according to the type of development proposed. See this link for the fee schedule.
  • Once your application has been accepted, it will be investigated and reported on.
  • Other sector Agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency and Fire Department may need to be consulted where applicable.
  • A report will then be presented to the CH&PA Board for a decision.

For more details see CHPA Developer’s Manual or contact the CHPA on 592 223 7521 or see their website (https://www.chpa.gov.gy/).

Building Codes

The National Building Codes are a set of rules that specify the minimum standards for constructed buildings and non-building structures in Guyana.

The National Building Codes are available on the Guyana National Bureau of Standards (Ministry of Business) website (http://www.gnbsgy.org/index.php/nationalbuildingcodes)