MINISTRY OF BUSINESS
TERMS OF REFERENCE
JOB TITLE: COMMERCE OFFICER
REPORTS TO: SENIOR COMMERCE OFFICER
DEPARTMENT: Department of Commerce
- To carry out policy development and implementation to take forward the strategy of the Division and enable it to carry out its mandate.
- Timely, rigorous and relevant analysis of commercial and trade issues.
- Valuable contributions to development of legislation or wider surveys or studies carried out by the Senior Commerce Officers.
- The implementation of programmes such as consultations with the private sector, public education seminars, and statutory meetings,
- Effective administration of the PL480 programme.
- Effective and timely processing of applications for a suspension of the CET.
- Efficient collection and dissemination of information as appropriate.
RANGE OF ACTIVITIES:
- Responsible for the administration of monthly meetings with Customs, Trade Administration and other stakeholders as appropriate and report accordingly.
- Liaise with Consumer Division on the impact of consumer legislation on firms.
- Administration of PL480 sales agreement programme.
- Collect and analyze the domestic markets and distribution networks of related information.
- Conduct review of impact of border Government policies on firms and markets.
- Responsible for the processing of applications for suspension of the CET contacting firms, and liaising with MOFTIC to object to applications as appropriate.
- Disseminate data to the private sector and liaise with private sector organizations on trade issues.
- Assist in the taking forward the Ministry’s programme as it relates to e-commerce.
- Assist in the formulation and implementation of the competition bill and anti-dumping.
- Any other related duties.
QUALIFICATION, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- A degree in Economics/Econometrics/Business Administration/Management from a recognized university.
DECISION MAKING, PROBLEM SOLVING AND IMPACT RESULTS:
- The job holder is expected to make decision on his/her own but may seek the guidance of the supervisor/s. Moreover, complex decisions must be referred to his/her immediate supervisor.
- Inefficiency on the part of the incumbent would result in the disruption in the effective functioning of the Division.
- May be required to supervise two (2) Research Assistants in the absence of the Director of Commerce or the Senior Officers.
The incumbent would be required to assist with the preparation of the Division’s budget and work programme.
COMMUNICATION: The job-holder will have regular contact with senior officers of a similar level and sometimes more senior in other ministries, private sector and International organizations on domestic trade issues.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The job is largely contained in the office but the incumbent will from
time to time be required to undertake visits to private firms and trade related organizations which may include interior and riverain areas.