MINISTRY OF BUSINESS
TERMS OF REFERENCE
JOB TITLE:LEGAL OFFICER
REPORTS TO:LEGAL ADVISER
MINISTRY/DEPARTMENT:MINISTRY OF BUSINESS
PURPOSE:To prepare legal opinion and advise staff on legal matters.
– Timely and accurate legal advice.
– Properly authenticated documents.
– Updated register of treaties to which Guyana is a part.
RANGE OF ACTIVITIES:
– Provides legal advice to the staff of the Ministry (include overseas Missions), Government Ministries/Departments
and public officials on Guyana’s Multilateral and bilateral treaty relations.
– Ensures that Guyana complies with its bilateral and international treaty obligations in a timely manner.
– Represents the Ministry on Committees, Boards etc.
– Provides certificates of Non-impediment to Marriage to Guyanese wishing to marry in civil law countries.
– Authenticates documents to be tendered in Foreign Jurisdictions.
– Monitors the Implementation of the Privileges and Immunities Act of Guyana.
– Peruses and examines contracts to ensure their legality.
– Any other duties that may be assigned by the Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs/Director General.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
– The incumbent must be an Attorney-at-law.
– A legal Practitioner with one (1) year post-administration experience.
DECISION MAKING, PROBLEM SOLVING AND IMPACT ON RESULTS:
– Decision making and problem solving are normally based on judicial precedents and guidelines provided by previous
legal opinion of Law Officers. If faced with any difficult legal problems, the incumbent can solicit assistance from the
Director General or other professional colleagues.
The incumbent does not supervise any subordinate staff nor is he/she responsible for any cash or expensive
Apart from all levels of staff in the Ministry, the job holder communicates with the Attorney General’s
WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal office environment.